Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Don't fumble the ball

No matter the manner of birth (vaginal, c-section) recovery for mom will be a slow and painful process. My job as the father is to help mom recover, which means helping care for my child. To do this I must first master the basic skill "How to hold a newborn baby". When teaching this skill to men, it is most often compared to...holding a football. Watch this video and think 'baby' where they say 'football'.

I was an infant care teacher for 6 years and I am very experienced and very comfortable holding babies. And yet, holding a newborn is slightly different and thus worth explaining.

For you first time dads out there, I recommend you ask someone to swaddle the baby for your first time. Position the baby with their head in the crook of your elbow facing up, put their butt in your hand and hold them close to your body like a football. I'm right handed, so I tend to hold Gabe in my left arm so I'm still free to do things like grab a pacifier or handle a bottle. When this gets comfortable then try it again without the swaddle blanket, but be careful to support their neck.

Cradling their neck takes a little getting used too, especially when handing the baby off. Here's how I do it. When someone offers me the baby I:
1.) Put my right hand underneath their neck, then
2.) I work my left underneath their butt.
3.) Then I lift the baby and swing their neck into my left elbow, then remove my hand.
I've posted a quick video to demonstrate. This is just a way to get started, but soon you'll figure out all kinds of ways to hand that baby back and forth.

Here's a few more thoughts on holding a newborn baby:
- Remain calm. Newborns pick up on all kinds of non-verbal queues so if you get anxious or nervous this will add to the babies discomfort. More on this later...
- Hold the baby often. You want the baby to get used to your smell, how you hold him, how your body feels etc. Familiarity breeds comfort (for the baby and you).
- Talk to the baby. The baby will recognize your voice within hours and will soon associate it with comfort.

No comments:

Post a Comment